Thulani Serero is a professional football player from South Africa whose position is in the midfield. Serero is presently under contract with the United Arab Emirates side called Al-Jazira, having joined the team just this year in August on a deal lasting two years. Internationally, he represents the South African national team.
Did you know that Thulani has been through the Ajax Cape Town youth academy system? He only made his first-team appearance in 2008 although as a bit-part player. What else is there to know about the midfielder? Here are some of the interesting facts about Thulani Serero life story.
Thulani Serero profile summary
- Full name: Thulani Caleb Serero
- Date of birth: 11th April 1990
- Place of birth: Soweto, South Africa
- Thulani Serero age: 29 years old as of 2019
- Nationality: South African
- Thulani Serero Instagram: @thulaniserero
- Thulani Serero Facebook: @thulaniserero
- Thulani Serero Twitter: @thulaniserero
- Relationship status: Single
- Thulani Serero wife: N/A
- Height: 1.72 m (5 feet 6 inches)
- Weight: 68 kilograms (150 pounds)
- Occupation: Professional football player
- Famous for: Joining Al-Jazira in a big-money move and representing South Africa in football
Thulani Serero biography
Born in the small town of Mapetla, Soweto, Serero Thulani is now a constant in the team sheet in both the club and the international level. He has played for multiple teams both locally and internationally, and is reaping the benefits of his hard work in the UAE.
Serero began his career in the Premier Soccer League (PSL) under Craig Rosslee, who managed Ajax Cape Town in the 2008–09 season. In his maiden season, he managed to score four goals although he was not regular until the next season when he made 25 appearances. His best season with the club was 2010–11 season when he scored 11 goals and his team finished second in the PSL.
The player joined AFC Ajax in 2011 in a deal worth a cool €2.5 million after several trials. The first season was marred by an injury, which is why he managed only six appearances. He became a regular in 2013 after the departure of Christian Eriksen. Unfortunately, Ajax did not renew his contract in 2017, which left him a free agent.
As a free agent, he joined Vitesse in 2017 on a three-year deal. He decided to leave Vitesse because of interest from the UAE side Al-Jazira this year in a deal that was estimated around R17 million. The deal with the Thulani Serero current team runs to 2021.
Internationally, he has represented South Africa at different levels. As a youngster, Serero played for the South Africa U-20s for the first time in 2011 against Kenya. He made it to the national team eventually, although discipline cases marred his career at times.
The first goal for the senior team came in 2014 against Sudan. He was dropped from the national squad for some time, although he was recalled in November 2018.
Thulani Serero stats
The following are his stats as of December 2018.
Thulani Serero salary
Thulani Serero awards
Individually, he has bagged himself the following honours:
- 2009 SAFA Young Player of the Year;
- 2011 PSL Footballer of the Year;
- 2011 PSL Player of the Season;
- 2011 PSL Players' Player of the Season;
- 2011 Absa Premiership Red Hot Young Player in Premier Soccer League.
Thulani Serero news
The biggest news surrounding him at the moment is the transfer to the UAE. Commenting on the move, he is quite happy with himself and feels the career move is the right step after eight years in Europe.
He has worked his way to the top from the street of Soweto, and now Thulani Serero continues to make a name for himself in the UAE. We wish him all the best!
- David Tlale biography: age, place of birth, partner, marriage, mother, designs and net worth
- Khaya Dladla biography: age, child, husband, family, Gc, songs, album, Uzalo and Instagram
- Herman Mashaba biography: age, children, education, party, views on foreigners, email address, entrepreneur, and net worth
- Khanya Mkangisa biography: age, husband, parents, stunning pictures, car, instagram and net worth