Kagiso Lediga is an award-winning actor, comedian, and filmmaker who has an inspiring journey in the South African entertainment industry. He has achieved a lot as one of the first black comedians in the country. Comedy is an art that requires wits and intelligence and, therefore, only a few legendary comedians like him can remain relevant in the art for more than 20 years and win the hearts of many people.
Apart from Kagiso Lediga comedy, he has had a successful career in the film and television industry. He has written, performed, and produced a number of successful films like Bantu Hour and the Pure Monate Show. Kagiso Lediga Queen Sono drama series on Netflix is one of his most significant achievements as a writer and creative producer. The series, which stars Pearl Thusi, is the first African Netflix Original Series. Below is a detailed Kagiso Lediga biography.
- Full name: Kagiso Lediga
- Date of birth: 6th May 1978
- Kagiso Lediga age: 42
- Gender: Male
- Nationality: South African
- Occupation: Stand-up comedian, actor, writer, filmmaker
- Production company: Diprente Films
- Kagiso Lediga Instagram: @kagisolediga
- Twitter: @KagisoLediga
Kagiso Lediga personal life
The comedian was born on 6th May 1978 in Pretoria, South Africa. In 1995, he moved to Cape Town to pursue English and Drama at the University of Cape Town. Kagiso Lediga wife name and other details of his personal life have not been shared with the public.
Kagiso Lediga the comedian
He began doing comedy while in college. Joining the Cape Comedy Collective helped him sharpen his skills. In 1998, he became the new face at the Smirnoff International Comedy Festival. He has since been at key comedy functions in South Africa and worldwide, including the following.
- Cape Town International Comedy Festival
- Pure Monate Comedy Jam
- Blacks Only
- Comedy Blackout
- Let Durban Laugh Festival
- Laugh Out Loud
- Freshest Comedy Festival
- Kingsize Heavyweight Comedy Jams
- The Edinburgh Comedy Festival
Kagiso Lediga’s journey in the film industry
The legendary comedian has made huge strides, not only in comedy but also in the film and television industry. The most notable achievement is being one of the creators and the executive producers of Queen Sono, a Netflix crime drama series released on 28th February 2020. Queen Sono, a Kagiso Lediga and Pearl Thusi movie, had its second season renewed by Netflix in April 2020.
He has also been one of the directors and writers of several TV comedies and movies, including the following.
- Wizard (Matwetwe - 2019) which he co-produced with the famous DJ Black Coffee
- Bantu Hour (2015)
- Mary and Martha (2013)
- Opening Guys (2010 on Mzansi Magic)
- The Pure Monate Show (2003-2004 on SABC1) in which he was also the host. The TV show was nominated for nine awards at the South African Film and Television Awards in 2006.
- Late Nite News with Loyiso Gola
The following are other television shows in which he starred.
- Comedy Showcase
- Phat Joe Live
- Evita Live and Dangerous
- The Toasty Show
- Hard Copy
As an actor, he has also appeared in the following films.
- Catching Feelings (2018), which is a Kagiso Lediga Netflix Original.
- Big Fellas (2007)
- Footskating 101 (2007)
- Bunny Chow: Know Thyself (2006), which he also a co-producer and director. This film bagged a number of awards at the Melbourne, Toronto, Sydney, and Los Angeles Film Festivals. He was also awarded at the Cape Town International Film Festival with the Best Actor Award for this film.
- Crazy Monkey Presents Straight Outta Benoni (2005)
- Conversations on a Sunday Afternoon (2005)
- District 9 which is an Oscar-winning film.
- Wonder Boy for President
READ ALSO: Zenzo Ngqobe bio: age, wife, family, TV shows, movies, pictures, profile, net worth
Kagiso Lediga achievements
He has received a number of Kagiso Lediga nominations at the South African Film and Television Awards (SAFTA) and other award ceremonies. Among his many awards is the 2013 Comic Writer of the Year, which he won at the Comic Choice Awards. In 2019, the global edition of the Fast Company magazine named the award-winning comedian as one of The Most Creative People in Business.
The filmmaker also co-founded Diprente Films, a production company, alongside Tamsin Anderson, Isaac Mogajane, Luke Henkeman, and the late John Volmink in 2009.
Kagiso Lediga net worth
His net worth in 2020 is estimated at $13 million.
READ ALSO: David Kibuuka bio: age, wife, Daily Show, nominations, awards, profile, net worth
As one of the pioneer black comedians in South Africa, Kagiso Lediga’s journey in the industry was met with many challenges, but he managed to win the hearts of many along the way. More than 20 years have passed, but his creative art has never left him. For Kagiso Lediga contact details, you can find him on twitter @KagisoLediga or send an email to email@example.com.
- 7 SA celebs who’ve served continuous saucy goals throughout lockdown
- LOL: Cast of Netflix's Blood & Water cringe at their audition tapes
- What's on Netflix South Africa: best SA series and movies in 2020