Pursuing admission into the Durban University of Technology has become pretty easy, especially with the online method of applying. However, as easy as it may sound, there are specific processes that must be followed and individual requirements that must be met before any prospective student can be considered for admission.
Durban University of Technology is home to over thirty thousand students spread across its six faculties. The prestigious university in the beautiful city of Durban emerged after two technikons in Durban were merged. Presently, the institution offers both undergraduate and post-graduate courses. DUT also offers contact learning to aspiring candidates, and its campuses are spread in seven locations across Durban and Pietermaritzburg.
How to apply online at DUT
Note that all applications will be made from the CAO (Central Applications Office) official website. In KwaZulu Natal, the CAO is responsible for processing all new university applications. As a rule, they only allow one application from an individual to one institution. To complete your DUT online application, go to the CAO application portal, which you can also access from www.dut.ca.za. However, before you rush to create a DUT login, ensure that you have the following:
READ ALSO: Education in SA: South African education system facts
- A functional email address.
- Your APS calculation. This is the Admission Point Score, which you need before applying to the school. It is needed because, in South Africa, tertiary institutions use the score to know if prospective candidates meet the requirements of a course of study.
- You would be required to take the NBT (National Benchmark Test), which is part of the criteria in the application.
- Your scanned academic results, which you will upload during the application. Ensure that they are the latest.
- For international students who want to register at DUT, they are expected to provide a study visa, proof of English proficiency, and South African medical aid cover.
Once the Central Applications Office has captured your application and all your documents have been verified based on the requirements, you will be invited to an entrance test/interview. If your interview/entrance test is successful, you will be given a conditional admission and then required to deposit to secure your admission.
How do I check my application status at DUT?
To track your DUT admission status after applying through the CAO, simply follow the steps below:
- Visit the official website of the Central Applications Office.
- Then, select and enter any of your identification, CAO, or Passport number.
- Once you have correctly filled in the information, click on the "Submit" button, and your status is displayed afterwards.
What are the basic admission requirements for DUT?
If you are getting ready for learning at the Durban University you must keep in mind that early registration is an added advantage. This is because registrations usually close at different periods in the year, although it depends on what course you are applying for. Therefore, to apply, the following are what you need:
- A certified NSC from the Council for General and Further Education and Training (Umalusi) is required for Higher Certificate programs. The certificate, National Senior Certificate, should have at least three in English as the achievement rating.
- A certified NSC from the Council for General and Further Education and Training (Umalusi) will be required for Diploma programs. However, the National Senior Certificate should have at least three in English and any other four subjects recognized by the body.
- A certified National Senior Certificate (NSC) from the Council for General and Further Education and Training (Umalusi) will be required for Bachelor’s Degree programs. The certificate should have at least three in English and any other four subjects recognized by NSC.
To find out more about DUT requirements, check the DUT website: dut.ac.za.
READ ALSO: Thekwini College application requirements, documents, courses and fees
What courses are available at DUT?
University of Durban has six faculties, each offering different courses that are internationally accepted. Therefore, depending on your choice of course, these are the Durban University of Technology courses as offered in each faculty:
Faculty of Accounting & Informatics
- NDip Accounting
- BTech Corporate Administration
- (BTech and NDip) Cost and Management Accounting
- (BTech and NDip) Financial Information Systems
- BTech Information Technology (Software Dev)
- NDip Information Technology
- (BTech and NDip) Internal Auditing
- (BTech and NDip) Library & Information Studies
- (BTech and NDip) Office Management and Technology
- (BTech and NDip) Taxation
Faculty of Applied Sciences
- NDip Analytical Chemistry
- (BTech and NDip) Biotechnology
- BTech Chemistry
- (BTech and NDip) Consumer Sciences: Food & Nutrition
- (BTech and NDip) Food Technology
- (BTech and NDip) Horticulture
- NDip Maritime Studies
- NDip Sport Management
- (BTech and NDip) Textile Technology
Mangosuthu University of Technology: Courses, requirements, fees, online application, and status check 2020
Faculty of Arts & Design
- NDip Clothing Management
- NDip Drama Studies
- (BTech and NDip) Fashion
- (BTech and NDip) Fine Art
- (BTech and NDip) Graphic Design
- (BTech and NDip) Interior Design
- (BTech and NDip) Jewellery Design & Manufacture
- (BTech and NDip) Journalism
- (BTech and NDip) Language Practice
- NDip Performing Arts Technology
- NDip Translation and Interpreting
- BTech Translation and Interpreting Practice
- (BTech and NDip) Video Technology
Faculty of Engineering & the Built Environment
- (BTech and NDip) Architectural Technology
- NDip Building
- (BTech and NDip) Chemical Engineering
- (BTech and NDip) Civil Engineering
- BTech Construction Management
- BTech Electrical Engineering (Heavy Current)
- NDip Electrical Engineering (Power Plant / Power Systems)
- BTech Engineering: Electrical (LC) (Instrumentation and Control)
- BTech Engineering: Electrical (LC) (Computer Systems)
- BTech Engineering: Electrical (LC) (Electronic Communications)
- NDip Engineering: Electrical / Computer Systems
- (BTech and NDip) Engineering: Mechanical
- (BTech and NDip) Industrial Engineering
- (BTech and NDip) Pulp and Paper Technology
- BTech Quantity Surveying
- (BTech and NDip) Surveying
- (BTech and NDip) Town and Regional Planning
Faculty of Health Sciences
- (BTech and NDip) Biomedical Technology
- (BTech and NDip) Child & Youth Development
- NDip, BTech, MTech Chiropractic
- (BTech and NDip) Clinical Technology
- NCert Dental Assisting
- (BTech and NDip) Dental Technology
- BHSc Emergency Medical Care
- (BTech and NDip) Environmental Health
- (BTech and NDip) Homoeopathy
- BHS Medical Orthotics and Prosthetics
- BTech Nursing (Nursing Management)
- BTech Nursing (Primary Health Care)
- BTech Nursing Science
- BTech Nursing: Occupational Health Nursing
- (BTech and NDip) Radiography: Diagnostic / Nuclear Medicine / Therapy / Ultrasound
- (BTech and NDip) Somatology
Faculty of Management Sciences
- BTech Business Administration
- NDip Catering Management
- NDip Eco-Tourism Management
- (BTech and NDip) Hospitality Management
- (BTech and NDip) Human Resources Management
- (BTech and NDip) Management
- (BTech and NDip) Marketing
- (BTech and NDip) Operations Management
- (BTech and NDip) Public Management
- (BTech and NDip) Public Relations Management
- BTech Quality
- (BTech and NDip) Retail Business Management
- (BTech and NDip) Tourism Management
To check the complete list of courses offered in the school, check the Durban University of Technology prospectus, which you can download from their website.
Durban University of Technology fees
For South African applicants, the application fee required is fixed at R245, while international applicants are to pay R300. However, there is a DUT Fees and Finance Rules Booklet, which you can download from their official site.
Durban University of Technology contact details
For further inquiries, the following are the DUT contact details of the institution:
DUT address: P O Box 1334, Durban 4000;
Phone numbers: 031 373 2000 (Durban) / 033 845 8800 (Pietermaritzburg);
The Durban University of Technology has always maintained its standards. Learning at this institution can never be a regret considering the conducive learning environment and versatile instructors.
READ ALSO: Baragwanath nursing college programmes offered, application and contact details
Source: Briefly News