Refined and delicate are some of the key descriptions that perfectly suit Thandie Newton, one of the most recognizable faces in Hollywood. While growing up, the British-born multiracial actress faced numerous challenges ranging from racism to prejudice. Even though her original aspiration was to become a dancer, fate had other plans for her instead.
Thandie is a London-based actress who is popularly known for appearing in American and British films. She is famous for starring as Nyah Nordoff-Hall in Mission: Impossible 2, Linda in The Pursuit of Happiness, and Christine in Crash, where she was awarded as the best actress in supporting role at BAFTA among so many others.
Thandie Newton profile summary
- Full name: Melanie Thandiwe Newton
- Date of birth: 6th November 1972
- Place of birth: Westminster, London, England
- Thandie Newton age: 47 years
- Nationality: British
- Ethnicity: Mixed-race
- Thandie Newton height: 5 feet 3 inches
- Weight: 51 kg
- Marital status: Married
- Thandie Newton husband: Oliver Parker
- Profession: Actress
- Net worth: $12 million
Thandie was born on 6th November 1972 as Melanie Thandiwe Newton in Westminster, London, United Kingdom. She was brought up in Penzance, Cornwall, and she had a great interest in performing arts from a tender age.
She enrolled in London’s Art Education School to attain a certificate in dancing. Unfortunately, she was forced to give up her dream of becoming a dancer after sustaining a back injury during her teenage years.
Later on, she attended Downing College Cambridge for a degree in Social Anthropology.
Thandie Newton parents
The popular actress is the daughter of Nick Newton (father) and Nyasha Newton (mother). Thandie is of mixed race as her father is British while her mother hails from the Shona tribe of Zimbabwe. Nick Newton is a laboratory technician and artist while Nyasha is a retired district nurse. She has a younger brother, Jamie Newton who worked in the Camera Department.
The actress met with English writer and director Oliver Parker on the set of the BBC drama titled In Your Dreams. Thandie was starring in the film while Oliver was the scriptwriter. Newton immediately fell for the super-talented director even though it took quite some time for him to feel the same way about her.
The duo dated for a short period before tying the knot in 1998. The couple has been blessed with three lovely children.
Thandie Newton children
Oliver Parker and Thandie have two daughters and one son. The first Thandie Newton daughter goes by the name Ripley Parker. She was born on 17th September 2000. The second-born, Nico Parker, was born in December 2004. The couple’s last-born child is a son who goes by the name Booker Jomber. He was born on 3rd March 2014.
Thandie’s first movie appearance took place in 1991’s Flirting when she was 16 years old. In 1994, she starred as a house slave in the movie Interview with the Vampire alongside Brad Pitt. Later on, Thandie starred in the role which undeniably shuttled her to prominence. Nyah Hall in one of the world’s most profitable non-superhero action franchises dubbed Mission: Impossible.
Melanie did not stop at that as she has starred in many other movies and television shows. Some of Thandie Newton movies include:
- 1991: Flirting as Thandiwe Adjewa
- 1993: The Young Americans as Rachael Stevens
- 1994: Loaded as Zita
- 1994: Interview with the Vampire as Yvette
- 1995: Jefferson in Paris as Sally Hemings
- 1995: The Journey of August King as Annalees
- 1996: The Leading Man as Hilary Rule
- 1997: Gridlock’d as Barbara "Cookie" Cook
- 1998: Besieged as Shandurai
- 1998: Beloved as Beloved
- 2000: Mission Impossible 2 as Nyah Nordoff-Hall
- 2000: It Was an Accident as Noreen Hurlock
- 2002: The Truth About Charlie as Regina Lambert
- 2003: Shade as Tiffany
- 2004: The Chronicles of Riddick as Dame Vaako
- 2004: Crash as Christine Thayer
- 2006: The Interrogation of Leo and Lisa as The Mona Lisa
- 2006: The Pursuit of Happyness as Linda
- 2007: Norbit as Kate Thomas
- 2007: Run Fatboy Run as Libby
- 2008: How to Loose Friends and Alienate People as Herself
- 2009: W. as Condoleezza Rice
- 2009: 2012 as Laura Wilson
- 2010: Huge as Kris
- 2010: Vanishing on 7th Street as Rosemary
- 2010: For Colored Girls as Tangie
- 2011: Retreat as Kate
- 2012: Good Deeds as Lindsey Wakefield
- 2013: Half of a Yellow Sun as Olanna
- 2018: Gringo as Bonnie Soyinka
- 2018: Solo: A Star Wars Story as Val
- 2018: The Death and Life of John F. Donovan as Audrey Newhouse
- 2021: Reminiscence (post-production)
She has also starred in the following television shows:
- 1991: Pirate Prince as Becky Newton
- 1997: In Your Dreams as Clare
- 2003 to 2009: ER as Makemba "Kem" Likasu
- 2006: American Dad! as Makeva
- 2013 to 2015: Rogue as Grace Travis
- 2015: The Slap as Aisha
- 2016 to present: Westworld as Maeve Millay
- 2017: Line of Duty as DCI Roseanne "Roz" Huntley
- 2019: Big Mouth as Mona the Hormone Monstress
- 2020: RuPaul's Drag Race season 12 as self
Thandie’s music video includes:
- 2017: Jay-Z featuring Beyoncé in the song Family Feud
The actress has been actively involved in the entertainment industry since. Over the years, she has accumulated a decent fortune thanks to the strong and dynamic roles she has portrayed across several film genres.
As of 2020, Thandie Newton net worth is estimated to stand at $12 million. Thandie Newton Westworld salary from the beginning of the film’s second season bumped to $250,000 per episode, thus increasing her net worth as well.
Frequently asked questions
Here are the answers to the frequently asked questions about the star.
How much is Thandie Newton worth?
The British-born actress has a net worth of $12 million. She has accumulated such as massive amount from her successful career in the entertainment industry.
Does Thandie Newton speak Japanese?
Thandie does not speak Japanese, but she had to learn the language in a manner that would be appropriate for the madame of the saloon during the filming of Westworld, and this makes many people assume that she can speak Japanese.
How much does Thandie Newton weigh?
At the moment, Thandie Newton weighs around 112 pounds which is equivalent to 51 kg.
What is Thandie Newton's race?
Thandie's father is white British while her mother is black from Zimbabwe. Therefore, the actress's ethnical background is mixed-race.
Thandie Newton has gained recognition for exemplary performances in both small and big films over a career that has lasted close to three decades. She has managed to channel the identity and ethnicity issues she faced into something more positive by striving to influence the film industry into making it a more welcoming place to biracial actresses and actors.