The National Student Financial Aid Scheme has helped students with limited financial access to realize their dream. To ensure more students get funding for their education, the financier has extended the deadline for the 2022 academic year. You now have less than two weeks to apply. Herein is everything you need to know regarding the NSFAS application for 2022.
The National Student Financial Aid Scheme offers subsidized financial aid to students from poor and working-class backgrounds in public institutions of higher learning. At the moment, there are 50 TVET colleges and 26 public universities considered. The funding takes care of the student’s tuition, registration, learning items, accommodation, meals, and cash for personal use while on campus.
Is the NSFAS application extended?
The NSFAS application 2022 opening date was 2nd November 2021, and students were given two months to submit applications. The previous NSFAS funding application deadline had been set for 7th January 2022.
Are NSFAS applications open for 2022? In case you missed out, the National Student Financial Aid Scheme has put you into consideration. In an official statement released on 6th January 2022, students have until 21st January to submit their 2022 NSFAS application. This is the last extension, and students should make good use of the additional two weeks.
Who qualifies for the NASFAS grant?
Every applicant must meet certain requirements failure to which they will not be considered for financial aid. They include;
- A citizen of South Africa
- A permanent resident in possession of a valid Permanent Residency Permit from the Department of Home Affairs
- First time and returning students at a public university or TVET college
- Recipients of the SASSA grant, but the Covid-19 SASSA grant is not considered
- Students from families whose combined income is not more than R600,000 per year
- People living with disabilities whose combined household income is not more than R600,000 per year
Requirements for NSFAS 2022 application
Students must attach supporting documents that prove their eligibility for the 2022 NSFAS applications. The documents help the National Student Financial Aid Scheme determine who qualifies for the grant. These include;
- A copy of your identification card; For the Smart ID cards, the student should attach a copy of both sides.
- A temporary ID from the Department of Home Affairs
- Non-SASSA applicants must provide ID copies of parent/s, legal guardian/s, or spouse
- Students must attach proof of income; attach the most recent payslip which should not be older than 3 months, UIF letter, appointment letter, retrenchment letter (for the applicant and/or parent(s), legal guardian/spouse).
How do I apply for NSFAS 2022 online?
The process can be done at the comfort of your home or office using a smartphone, tablet or computer. The NSFAS online applications are made through the myNSFAS.org.za online application portal. Here are the simple steps on how to apply for NSFAS 2022.
- Go to www.nsfas.org.za on your computer or phone browser the select myNSFAS
- Create a myNSFAS account
- Go to the application tab, then enter the required details
- Upload the necessary documents
- Select the submit button
- After making your submission, you will receive a reference number as proof that the application has been submitted successfully.
Note: For students without internet or the necessary gadgets, you can go to the nearest National Youth Development Agency (NYDA) or Thusong Centre and follow the above steps.
As a student in South Africa, you have many opportunities to pursue post-secondary education regardless of your financial background. The National Student Financial Aid Scheme has assisted many students and will continue to do so in the coming years. Seize the extension chance and make your NSFAS application for 2022 before the second deadline.
Briefly.co.za published the 2022 application dates for leading South African universities. If you recently completed your secondary education, the next step is to find a higher learning institution where you can pursue your dream course.
The universities have varying academic years and open the application window at different times. Knowing when the process needs to be done will help you plan and also avoid missing the chances of getting into your dream university. Check the University applications dates article for the extensive list.
Source: Briefly News