Losing a tooth or teeth changes your speech, smile, how you chew, and how you feel about yourself. If that happens, you can visit a dentist for denture installation. A denture is a false tooth made of metal, acrylic, or nylon. How much do dentures cost in South Africa? Here is a guide to help you.
Tooth loss can be caused by many factors, including tooth decay, facial injuries, poor oral care, and gum diseases. A denture installation procedure requires a bit of money. The cost of dentures varies depending on the dentist you choose, their reputation, and the type of denture.
Dentures cost in South Africa
The cost of fixing dentures can vary depending on the specific repair type needed. While finding cheap false teeth prices in Johannesburg and other parts of the country is hard, you can always talk to your dentist and negotiate a friendly budget. Below is a denture price list to guide you.
|R2,000 - R14,000
|Removable partial dentures
|R800 per tooth
|Fixed dental bridge
|R12,000 - R20,000
|Temporary dentures -Immediate
|R10,000 and R15,000
|R28,000 - R36,000
|All-on-4 implant dentures
How much do dentures cost in South Africa?
Dentures come in fixed or removable forms. If you need one or a few false teeth, partial dentures are the best option. If you need several or a full mouth replacement, you can opt for a complete or implant-supported procedure.
1. Complete dentures (R2,000 - R14,000)
Complete dentures are a replacement for entire sets of teeth. The dentist uses implants for dentures, usually made of a plastic base that supports the plastic or porcelain teeth.
- They are cost effective
- They improve self-esteem and confidence
- They restore eating and chewing
- They maintain a more youthful appearance
- There is a risk of a lisp developing
- They can slip out when eating or speaking
- They may require maintenance and repairs
2. Removable partial dentures (R800 per tooth)
Removable partial dentures are replacements for a few missing teeth. First, the dentist creates a plastic base or a metal framework. The framework is held in the mouth by clasps and rests around the natural teeth. The prices start from an average of R800 for a single tooth.
- They are cost effective
- They do not break easily
- They are easy to remove for cleaning
- They are durable because they have an underlying metal framework
- They are prone to plaque build-up, especially if not cleaned properly
- It may have some metal clasps that show when smiling
3. Fixed dental bridge (R12,000 - R20,000)
Fixed dental bridges are similar to removable partial dentures, except they are not removable. Usually, tooth-coloured porcelain crowns are attached to the implants.
They are ideal for patients with three or more missing teeth. The price of implant-supported dental bridges varies depending on the number of teeth being fixed. The average cost ranges from R12,000 to R20,000.
- They are stronger than removable fake teeth
- They result in consistent tooth positioning and better bite
- They have improved aesthetics
- They are quite pricey
- Installation requires surgery
- It is challenging to maintain cleanliness
4. Temporary dentures -Immediate (R10,000 and R15,000)
These are a solution for patients who need to have all their teeth extracted but do not want to live without them until their permanent ones are ready.
They can be fitted directly onto the patients' unhealed gums immediately after teeth are extracted. They cost between R10,000 and R15,000.
- They allow you to have teeth while your gums are still healing
- They provide a temporary solution for eating and talking
- They help extraction sites heal by minimising swelling and bleeding
- They are prone to bacteria build-up
- They are not a long-term solution
- They are not as natural-looking
- They require multiple adjustments
5. Overdentures (R28,000 - R36,000)
Overdentures are natural-looking replacements with some health and aesthetic advantages over conventional dentures. They are held in place by the remaining teeth or metal posts implanted in the jawbone.
If you look at false teeth prices at your dentist's office, you may find they cost a lot more than other types. It can cost you roughly between R28,000 to R36,000.
- They offer a good chewing ability
- They are stable and strong
- They are comfortable because they are custom-fitted
- They are more aesthetically pleasing
- They are pretty expensive
- They require an invasive surgical procedure during installation
- They require a lot of treatment time
- The attachment can become loose and may require tightening
6. All-on-4 implant dentures (R152,350)
All-on-4 implants are also called full-arch dental implant bridges. They support an entire arch of teeth with just four implants. You cannot take them out by yourself, but your dentist can. The price of these false teeth in South Africa is pretty high. The average cost is around $8000, which is approximately R152,350.
- They are more durable compared to other types
- They stay in place and seldom move
- They look natural
- They come with various diet restrictions
- They are pricey
7. Custom dentures
These are customised for each patient. You can choose the material to be used, including expensive ones like porcelain. They cost $15,000 per arch.
- They are unique
- They allow for a more natural look since they are customised
- They can be pretty expensive, especially if expensive materials are used
8. Economy dentures
These are generic, premade, and inexpensive. However, they are not customised for your mouth, so they may not look natural. They are relatively affordable in South Africa.
- They are quick to fix
- They are relatively cheap
- They can harm your mouth
- They do not look natural
What is a denture?
A denture is a false tooth that replaces some or all of a patient's missing natural teeth after loss.
How much does a false tooth cost?
The prices of free false teeth in South Africa vary depending on the type of facility and the number of teeth needing replacement. You can always look for cheap false teeth near me or confirm the prices with your dentist.
What are false teeth prices in Cape Town?
Dentures in Cape Town vary in price depending on your desired type. The cost can range from R600 to R30,0000 or more.
What is the false teeth price in Port Elizabeth?
The prices for major procedures may vary. You can visit the clinic in Port Elizabeth for a full quotation for accurate quotations.
How much does a full set of dentures cost?
The average cost of a full set of dentures is around $8000, which is approximately R152,350.
What are the advantages of dentures?
Advantages of dentures include:
- Dentures can replace missing teeth, giving users a fuller, more youthful appearance to their face.
- Missing teeth can make it difficult to speak clearly, but dentures can help fill in the gaps and improve pronunciation.
- They can ultimately improve overall comfort.
- Missing teeth can make people feel self-conscious and embarrassed, but dentures can help restore confidence and self-esteem.
What are the disadvantages of dentures?
Some of the major disadvantages of dentures include
- Food-eating discomfort
- Enlarged gums
- Oral sores (sores)
- Poor breath
How long do dentures last?
Dentures last between seven and ten years before needing replacement if installed and cared for properly. However, they wear out during this time, and your mouth changes shape, so regular dental checkups are recommended.
How long do dentures take to make in South Africa?
The process can take between 3-6 weeks, depending on the complexity of the case. It is important to allow enough time to ensure that the dentures are properly made and fit comfortably.
What type of dentures is the best?
What are the most natural-looking dentures?
Customised cosmetic dentures are the most natural-looking. However, you should know that plastic teeth will always have an artificial appearance.
Can you eat with dentures?
Yes, you can eat pretty much anything with plastic teeth. Always remember that proper care and oral hygiene are necessary for them to last long.
What is the best way to clean dentures?
Dentures should be brushed at least once every day. This will help maintain oral hygiene and keep your mouth fresh. Always use a toothbrush with soft bristles made especially for dentures.
Where is the cheapest place to get dentures in the world?
The greatest and most affordable places in the world to obtain dentures include Turkey, Mexico, Costa Rica, Colombia, the Dominican Republic, India, and Croatia. These locations are well-liked for their comprehensive, cutting-edge partial and full denture treatments.
How much do dentures cost in South Africa? There are various types of dentures, and each has a different installation price. A denture can restore your smile, confidence, and chewing.
Briefly.co.za recently published the cost of braces in South Africa. Everyone would like to have the perfect smile. However, not everyone has a naturally perfect set of teeth.
Some people have crooked teeth that interfere with their smiles and self-esteem. Fortunately, certified orthodontists can fix the situation.
Source: Briefly News