A crispy Eisbein recipe is something you might want to try for lunch or dinner at your home. Eisbein is a popular dish in South Africa. It is mainly a German dish that is made up of ham hock. The literal meaning of the word Eisbein is “ice leg”, primarily because it comes from a bone that was sometimes used on ice skates’ blades. The crispy Eisbein recipe is straightforward and easy to follow, and it does not take a long time to prepare. When using smoked and cured shanks or ham hocks, it should take you around 1.5 hours to get the meal ready. Read down below if you are wondering how to cook Eisbein.
Cooking cooking Eisbein
Eisbein can be prepared in a variety of ways. In this article, we will first focus on analyzing the best crispy Eisbein recipe. If you love eating pork then you will never stop enjoying Eisbein. Here is a recipe for preparing soft and tender Eisbein.
- I onion quartered
- 1 roughly chopped carrot
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cured and smoked shanks of pork
- Place the pork shanks inside a large cooking pot.
- Cut the onions and chop the carrot, and then add them to the pot. Add the bay leaf as well.
- Pour water into the pot such that it covers the pork shanks.
- Place the pot on heat and bring the ingredients to a boil.
- After it becomes tender, reduce the heat. Let simmering take place for about 1.5 hours. After the pork shank is tender enough, remove it from the pot.
- Wipe the meat with a clean cloth.
- Cut the skin diagonally and salt it. Ensure to use a sharp knife for good cuts.
- Place the pork shank on a grill that is hot. The skin will become crispy. Keep turning until all the sides become crispy.
- That is how you make a crispy Eisbein which is very delicious. The best way to serve this eisbien is with boiled potatoes. You can also add some apple puree to make it even more delicious.
Other Eisbein recipes
Besides the crispy Eisbein recipe South Africa , there are other Eisbein recipes that you can try out at home. You can even smoke eisbein as is discussed below.
How to cook smoked Eisbein
Smoked Eisbein is a traditional dish that is commonly served with mashed potatoes. It takes around 2 and 1/4 hours to get it done.
- 700 gram of Smoked Eisbein
- 3 tbsp. oil
- 3 cups of oxtail stock
- 1 cup malt beer
- 2 chopped onions,
- 2 cloves of garlic,
- 1 tsp. granulated beef stock
- 2 cups drained Sauerkraut
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- Salt and pepper
- 5 potatoes
- 30-gram butter
- 1/2 cup of milk
- Take a large pot, pour oil, and let it heat.
- Add the Eisbein and let it fry on all sides until it becomes brown. This can take 5 minutes.
- After it is cooked, remove the meat from the pan and place it in a warm place or in your oven.
- Chop the onions finely and add them to a pot. Cover the pot until they are soft and brown and stir regularly.
- Chop the garlic and braise it for some few seconds.
- Add the Eisbein back into the pot, pour the malt beer, beef stock, and the oxtail stock. Let the mixture simmer while covered with a lead. This should take about 1.5 hours for the best results. Keep turning it so that it can cook evenly.
- Sample the texture of the meat to determine if it has become tender and well cooked. Then, add salt and pepper to your taste.
- Cover the pot and let the meat continue boiling. You should allow it to simmer for around 40 minutes.
- Remove the Eisbein, cut it into small portions, and serve it with the mashed potatoes and sauerkraut.
As it is illustrated above, the Eisbein used was smoked. However, you can also use Eisbein that is not smoked. Cover it with a foil and put it in the oven at a low heat for 3.5 hours. Remove the foil and roast it for another hour on higher heat. You can also grill it until it appears crispy. While at it, be careful not to burn it.
READ ALSO: Banting recipes on a budget
How to cook Eisbein in the oven: Glazed Eisbein
- 4 smoked pork hocks
- 1 onion
- 12 cloves
- Freshly grounded black pepper
- Dijon mustard, 60 ml
- Honey, 60 ml
- 90 ml brown sugar
- 6 bay leaves
- Melted butter, 60 ml
- Take a large pot and place all the pork hocks in it
- Cut the onions and cloves and add them to the pot.
- Add the bay leaves, black pepper, and the brown sugar.
- Pour water until the pork hocks are covered. Bring the mixture to a boil.
- Let it cook under low heat, and then simmer it for up to 1.5 hours or until the meat becomes tender.
- Remove the tender meat from the pot and place it on to the roasting tin.
- Mix the honey, melted butter, and the mustard in a separate bowl. Smear or brush the mixture on the pork.
- Heat the oven to 220°C. Put it in the oven to roast until the skin becomes crispy.
- When ready, serve it with mashed potatoes and sauerkraut or any other meal of your choice.
Cooking Eisbein can take quite some few hours, but it is definitely worth it. Use the crispy Eisbein recipes to guide you on making a delicious meal. Go ahead and have fun trying this recipe out. You sure are going to like it.