Who is William Mothipa Madisha? He is also known as Willie and is a South African member of the National Assembly. He is also a trade unionist and currently still pursues worker's rights in South Africa. Over the years, he has been successful in his career but not without his share of scandals and viral moments. Find out more about his life, his work, and much more below.
William Mothipa Madisha was first a teacher. He then began getting into matters of politics. His first involvement was with United Democratic Front (UDF). Since then, he has been politically active in South Africa.
William Mothipa Madisha profile
- Name: William Mothipa Madisha
- Birthplace: Atteridgeville, Pretoria
- Nationality: South African
- Occupation: Politician
- William Mothipa Madisha party: Congress of the People
- Party constituency office location: Athlone, Cape Town
William Mothipa Madisha biography
Willie grew up in Pretoria, South Africa, in the region of Atteridgeville. How old is William Mothipa Madisha? The exact birthdate of the politician is unknown; hence there is no accurate age estimate.
William Mothipa Madisha parents sent him to high school in his hometown of Attridgeville. He then enrolled at the Transvaal College of Education in Soshanguve, Pretoria North. He took a course on teaching and was among the leaders of the student movement in school. He unsuccessfully searched for a job in the Pretoria area, prompting him to move to the Northern Province district of Zebediela.
Politically, Willie has undoubtedly managed to create a name for himself. While still in his hometown of Atteridgeville, he got involved with the United Democratic Front (UDF). His move to Zebediela allowed him to become chairperson of the Northern Transvaal Teachers' Union in the region. Mothipa also became the ANC's first chair in the Zebediela after the reversal of the African National Congress (ANC) ban.
His move to the South African Democratic Teachers Union (SADTU) happened in 1995. He got elected Deputy President of the union that same year before becoming President the following year. Willie got elected as elected President of the Congress of South African Trade Unions (COSATU) in 1999.
He served for eight years before clashing with COSATU in 2007. The fallout was due to his preference to back up President Thabo Mbeki in the 2007 race. He was taken off from both positions of President from COSATU and SADTU in 2008.
In 2008, Madisha formed a new party, Congress of the People (COPE), in Johannesburg. The members are formerly from ANC. He also announced a new unrestrained trade union movement the following year, urging all workers to join.
Other positions held
The politician has held other positions in his time. With some being current and others going up to years back. These include:
- 1992 to 1993 - Lebowakgomo branch secretary of the South African Communist Party (SACP)
- 1993 to 1996 - Member of the Provincial Executive Committee of the SACP in the Northern Province
- May 2009 to May 2014 - Member of National Assembly (Parliament)
- June 2014 to May 2019 - Member of Portfolio Committee on Labour (National Assembly Committees)
- May 2014 to May 2019 - Member of National Assembly
- May 2014 to May 2019 - Constituency Contact at COPE Constituency Office: Limpopo (Constituency Office)
- September 2019 to current - Member at Disciplinary Committee (National Assembly)
- July 2019 to current - Member at Portfolio Committee on Employment and Labour (National Assembly Committees)
- July 2019 to present - Member at Portfolio Committee on Higher Education, Science and Technology (National Assembly Committees)
- July 2019 to present - Member at Portfolio Committee On Trade and Industry (National Assembly Committees)
- May 2019 to present - Member at National Assembly (Parliament)
- Currently a member at Congress of the People (COPE) (Party)
William Mothipa Madisha family
The politician keeps the information about his family under wraps. Unfortunately, there is not much information regarding his family. But if, by implication, his family would be proud to have someone who fights for others.
Willie Madisha controversial news
In September 2010, he got into another altercation. A female member of COPE had a formal complaint that accused Mothipa of sexual violation. Madisha got a suspension from the party. He was later the same year exonerated from the claims by COPE's disciplinary committee.
Willie Mothipa funny moments
In 2015, a funny video surfaced of the politician. In the video, he mocks the accent of a fellow member of parliament, Minister Naledi Pandor. The video went viral, making the politician's prominence widespread. There were even trending tweets of the video.
The name of William Madisha is synonymous with Hong Hong; this is what he is mainly known for across the African continent.
Willie Madisha contact details
The politician can be accessed through the following contacts:
What is William Mothipa Madisha salary? What is William Mothipa Madisha net worth? Information regarding the financial capacities of the politician is unknown.
That is everything you need to know about William Mothipa Madisha, the trade unionist who strives to create improved lives for workers.
Briefly.co.za published an article on Belinda Davids. She is a famous award-winning musician from South Africa. She truly has an outstanding musical gift because wherever she performs, she leaves an impressionable mark on people. Get to know more about this exquisite singer in this article.