If you have just finished secondary school and you are considering pursuing higher education, depending on the higher institution you can look at, you need an update on university application dates. This, among other reasons, will help you plan and also decide on time before you end up missing the application date of your choice institution. So, to help you out, all important university application dates for 2022 are captured in the following paragraphs.
As a prospective student who is looking forward to enrolling in an institution of higher education, once you have all the necessary documents needed to pursue admission, you also need to know the best time to do so. This is why you need to check out these university application dates 2022 to find out whether there are institutions that could offer you a chance or not.
University application dates for 2022
The list will provide you with insights into the 2022 university applications. That way, you will be updated on when to apply for the 2022 academic year.
Which universities are open for application 2021? This list will help you evaluate whether any institutions accept late applications for 2021. There are some universities that are still open for application for 2021 in South Africa and you should know them.
Nelson Mandela University (NMU)
The Nelson Mandela University application process for the 2022 intake for both undergraduate and postgraduate courses will open from 3 May 2021. Prospectus students are advised to apply online and ensure that they submit all their supporting documents online before the deadlines:
- 5 August 2021 – Early applications (excluding MBChB)
- 30 September 2021 – Late applications (excluding MBChB)
- 30 September 2021 – International student applications (excluding MBChB)
University of Fort Hare (UFH)
UFH 2021 application cycle opened on 01 July 2020. The deadline for the application of this institution was on 30 September 2020.
North West University (NWU)
The North West University application process 2022 is open from 15 April 2021. Here are the closing dates for submission of applications for the next academic year:
- 30 September 2021 – Non-selection courses, Engineering, Occupational Hygiene, Urban and Regional planning
- 31 July 2021 – Pharmacy and all other selection courses
- 31 August 2021 – Music and Graphic Design
University of the Free State (UFS)
The application process is open now. Free State University application opening dates are:
- 1 April 2021 – Undergraduate courses on QwaQwa and Bloemfontein campuses
- 1 July 2021 – UAP or University Access Program 2021 applications on the South Campus
There were a few closing dates for prospectus students for different programs:
- 31 May 2021 – MBChB, Radiation Sciences, Optometry, Physiotherapy, Occupational Therapy, Dietetics, Biokinetics, and Sports Coaching
- 31 July 2021 – Architecture, Quantity Surveying, Social Work, Nursing, and Construction Management
- 31 August 2021 – International undergraduate applications and all UAPs on the South Campus and its sub-regions
- 1 September 2021 – Fine Arts
- 30 September 2021 – Drama and Theatre Arts, Geology, Forensic Sciences, Actuarial Science, Physics with Engineering Sciences, Music, and Community Development (QQ only), and students who are transferring from other tertiary institutions and all non-selection programs.
University of South Africa (UNISA)
Here are the deadlines for online application for 2021 for this institution:
- 30 November 2020 – Undergraduate qualifications (higher certificates, advanced certificates, diplomas, advanced diplomas and degrees)
- 15 December 2020 – Honours degrees and postgraduate diplomas
- 6 November 2020 – Master's and doctoral qualifications
Rhodes University's 2021 application cycle is closed now. The deadline for applications from all new students for admission to the university was 30th September 2020.
University of Johannesburg (UJ)
University of Johannesburg application for the 2022 academic year are received from 1st April 2021. The closing date is 30th September 2021.
University of the Western Cape (UWC)
The applications for 2022 open on 15 May 2021. The UWC application forms are expected to be submitted before 30 September 2021.
University of KwaZulu-Natal (UKZN)
The application process for undergraduate students is closed now. Closing dates for undergraduate programmes:
- 30 June 2020 – For a medicine course. No late applications are allowed.
- 30 September 2020 – For all the other undergraduate courses.
Internal Transfer Applications was opened on 1 June 2020.
University of Cape Town (UCT)
University of Cape Town application for the 2022 academic year for all the undergraduate programmes will open on 1 May 2021, and the process will close on 31 August 2021. Prospectus students are advised to take advantage of this period to apply online to increase their chances of securing a chance in the institution.
University of Pretoria
The institution has transitioned to a fully online application process; hence prospectus students should take keen note of that. The University of Pretoria applications for 2022 will open on 1 May 2021.
The University of Pretoria application closing dates for the 2022 academic year are as follows:
- 30 September 2021 – For the Faculty of Economic and Management Sciences, Faculty of Natural and Agricultural Science and Faculty of Theology and Religion for South African students. Applications for non-South African students will close on 31st August 2020.
- 31 May 2021 – For students looking forward to pursuing a Bachelor of Science degree in Architecture for both South African students and non-South African students.
- 30 September 2021 – For the other programmes in the faculty of Engineering, Built Environment and Information Technology for South African students and 31st August for non-South Africans.
- 31 May 2021 – For the Faculty of Health Sciences and Veterinary courses for both South African and non-South African students.
- 30 June 2021 – For the Faculty of Humanities for the following courses: Bachelor of Drama, Bachelor of Music, Bachelor of Arts in Audiology, Bachelor of Arts in Fine Arts, Bachelor of Arts in Speech-Language Pathology, Bachelor of Arts Information Design. For the other courses in the faculty, the closing date is 30 September 2021 for South Africans and 31 August 2021 for non-South Africans.
- 30 September 2021 (local students) and 31 August 2021 (international students) – For LLB, Bachelor of Arts Law, in the Faculty of Humanities, and Bachelor of Commerce Law, in the Faculty of Economics and Management Science.
University of Witwatersrand (Wits)
University of Witwatersrand applications for resident students are open from 1st April 2021 and close on the following dates:
- 30 June 2021 – Faculty of Health Sciences (all programmes); Bachelor of Architecture; Bachelor of Audiology, Bachelor of Speech-Language Pathology; BA Film and TV.
- 30 September 2021 – For the rest of the University of Witwatersrand courses and residence applications.
University of Limpopo (UL)
You cannot apply at the University of Limpopo now. The university has released the closing date for 2021 prospectus students, and it was 23 September 2020 for both SA and international students.
University of Venda (UniVen)
The University of Venda rolled out its opening and closing dates for 2021 prospectus students. The process of online applications for admission and hostel accommodation was open from 15 June 2020 and the closing date was Monday, 30 November 2020. It means the application cycle is closed now.
University of Mpumalanga (UMP)
The university rolled out its closing date for the 2021 prospectus students and it was 30 November 2020.
University of Zululand (UniZulu)
The application process for 2021 was closed. New application deadlines are not announced yet.
Here are the Stellenbosch University application opening dates 2022:
- 6 April 2021 – For all undergraduate programmes
- 3 May 2021 – For financial assistance at Stellenbosch University
- 1 June 2021 – For all postgraduate programmes
Applications close on the following dates:
- 30 June 2021 – For all undergraduate programmes
- 30 June 2021 – Residence applications close
- 31 August 2021 – For Stellenbosch University financial assistance
- 15 December 2021 – For Diploma in Public Accountability (Telematic Education)
From this list, it is paramount to note that most of the institutions are currently accepting applications. If you wish to join any of these institutions of higher learning, you can begin the process early enough to avoid being caught up in the last-minute rush.
Sefako Makgatho University
SMU application process for 2022 is officially opened from 1 April 2021 and the closing dates are as follows:
- 25 June 2021 – B Radiography, B Dental Surgery, B Pharmacy, B Dental Therapy, MBChB, BSc Physiotherapy
- 26 July 2021 – BSc, BSc Diet, B Speech Language Pathology and Audiology, B Occupational Therapy, B Oral Hygiene, B Nursing Sciences
If you are not satisfied with the list of universities that accept applications in South Africa, you might want to consider checking out these TVET colleges as you might stand a chance in one of them.
Lyceum Correspondence College
Lyceum Correspondence College receives applications throughout the year. The only difference is that the time that a prospectus student submits their application determines the time that they will take their examination.
Pearson Institute of Higher Education
Pearson Institute of Higher Education is now receiving applications.
Applications for eta College can be made at any time of the year as the college offers several intakes.
By now, you must have seen the pattern in the important dates for most of the institutions in South Africa. If you are persistent in pursuing your studies in 2022, you should consider the institutions whose deadline is not due. It is important to note that the university application dates are keenly followed and that most of the institutions do not accept late applications. If you want to join these institutions in the forthcoming academic year, these university application dates for 2022 will help you secure a chance in your university of choice.