Those keen on science, astrology and the Universe in general probably already know of the well-loved scientist Neil deGrasse Tyson. Having various shows centred around the topics throughout the years, he has become a prominent public figure thanks to his passion for his profession and for making these niche topics more mainstream. So, what is there to know about him? We here in discuss everything, including Neil deGrasse Tyson's net worth, relationships, and professional life.
PAY ATTENTION: Follow Briefly News on Twitter and never miss the hottest topics! Find us at @brieflyza!
Neil deGrasse Tyson’s young career moves gave him an excellent start in the scientific community, starting as a starry-eyed postdoctoral research associate at the elite Princeton University from 1991 to 1994. Afterwards, he became a scientist and joined the staff team at the Hayden Planetarium. Since then, his career skyrocketed, and he became a household name.
Profile summary and bio
|Full name||Neil deGrasse Tyson|
|Date of birth||5 October 1958|
|Age:||63 years old|
|Birthplace||Manhattan, New York, USA|
|Religious beliefs||Agnostic (based on public comments)|
|Current residence||Lower Manhattan, New York, USA|
|Marital status||Married to Alice Young|
|Weight||84 kg (unconfirmed)|
|Eye colour||Dark brown|
|Parents||Cyril deGrasse Tyson and Sunchita Feliciano Tyson|
|Siblings||Stephen Joseph Tyson and Lynn Antipas Tyson|
|Profession||Astronomer, scientist, TV personality, astrophysicist, author|
|University||Harvard University, Harvard College, University of Texas, Columbia University,|
The scientist's impressive educational history and ever-growing career are only partly what makes him such a global sensation. Besides his qualifications, Tyson's charisma and welcoming nature entice viewers on the various TV shows he has appeared on throughout the years. Here is some more detailed information on him.
PAY ATTENTION: Never miss breaking news – join Briefly News' Telegram channel!
Neil deGrasse’s age
As of May 2022, the star is 63 years old.
Neil deGrasse’s wife
Alice Young is his longtime partner, with them both meeting in college 'back in the day'. The duo met in a physics class in 1985 while Young obtained her doctorate at the University of Texas. The power couple married only a few years later in 1988 and have been going strong ever since.
Neil deGrasse’s children
The astrophysicist has two children with his wife, Travis and Miranda Tyson.
Neil deGrasse’s religion
The scientist has openly stated that he does not like to be labelled as an atheist, but the public statements throughout the years show that he leans more toward an agnostic view on religion and God.
Neil deGrasse’s education
While most people would be proud of attending an Ivy League school, deGrasse Tyson can boast of attending two; Columbia and Harvard University, while attending the University of Texas. After attending Harvard to obtain his BA degree in physics, he then attended the University of Texas to achieve an MA degree in astronomy.
Afterwards, he joined the astronomy graduate program at Columbia University, qualifying with an MPhil degree in astrophysics in 1989, followed by a PhD degree in astrophysics in 1991. While on the topic, Neil deGrasse Tyson’s IQ is also hotly debated. However, we do not have confirmation on what his IQ score is.
Neil deGrasse’s books
Throughout his career, he has written the following books:
- Astrophysics for People in a Hurry
- Death by Black Hole: And Other Cosmic Quandaries
- Origins: Fourteen Billion Years of Cosmic Evolution
- Astrophysics for Young People in a Hurry
- Accessory to War
- Letters from an Astrophysicist
- Space Chronicles: Facing the Ultimate Frontier
- Startalk: Everything You Ever Need to Know About Space Travel, Sci-Fi, the Human Race, the Universe, and Beyond
- The Pluto Files: The Rise and Fall of America's Favorite Planet
- Welcome to the Universe in 3D: A Visual Tour
- Cosmic Queries
- Welcome to the Universe: An Astrophysical Tour
- The Sky Is Not the Limit: Adventures of an Urban Astrophysicist
- Startalk Young Readers Edition
- Merlin's Tour of the Universe
- The New York Times Book of Physics and Astronomy
- Cosmic Horizons: Astronomy at the Cutting Edge (American Museum of Natural History Books)
- Universe Down to Earth
- One Universe: At Home in the Cosmos
- Just Visiting This Planet
- My Favorite Universe
- A Brief Welcome to the Universe: A Pocket-Sized Tour
- Fly Me to the Moon: An Insider's Guide to the New Science of Space Travel
- Where Did Pluto Go?: A Beginner's Guide to Understanding the "New" Solar System
- Lecture Transcript and Course Guidebook for My Favorite Universe Part 1 of 1
- Capturing the Stars: Astrophotography by the Master
- The Inexplicable Universe: Unsolved Mysteries
- Welcome to the Universe: The Problem Book
- Exploring the Invisible: Art, Science, and the Spiritual - Revised and Expanded Edition
- Starry Messenger: Cosmic Perspectives on Civilization (released on 9/20/2022).
Neil deGrasse’s TV shows
Neil deGrasse’s quotes that became popular include: 'For me, I am driven by two main philosophies: know more today about the world than I knew yesterday and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you.' and 'The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you.' make people want to sit up and listen to what the profound professor has to say. But, on the other hand, it makes you wonder: 'Why was StarTalk cancelled?' The show was momentarily cancelled after sexual misconduct claims arose and were investigated. However, the show has since returned.
The shows that he has hosted, starred in, and voiced over include the following:
- Cosmos: Possible Worlds
- Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey
- The Inexplicable Universe with Neil deGrasse Tyson
- Nova scienceNow
- Origins: Where Are the Aliens
- Origins: Back to the Beginning
- Origins: Where are the Aliens?
- Saving My Tomorrow
- Soundtracks: Songs That Defined History
- The Universe
- Stargate Atlantis
- Fight for Space
- Hubble's Cosmic Journey
- Ice Age: Continental Drift
- The Mars Generation
- The Last Sharknado: It's About Time
- Lazer Team
- Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice
- Europa Report
- Scooby-Doo and Guess Who?
- Saving My Tomorrow
- The Simpsons
- BoJack Horseman
- Family Guy
- Gravity Falls
- Martha Speaks
- Ice Age: Collision Course
On top of this, he was the executive producer for StarTalk and Nova scienceNow.
Neil deGrasse’s profiles
What is Dr Neil deGrasse Tyson famous for?
He is a significant figure because he popularised science through his books and shows while taking the stigma away of the topic being seen as complicated and challenging to digest for those without extensive knowledge on the matter. Others have also asked: 'What did Neil Tyson discover?' One of his most impactful and simultaneously controversial attributes is that since Pluto is what he considered a dwarf planet, it should not be seen as the ninth planet in the solar system. The author reiterated this thought when he removed Pluto from the display of planets at the Hayden Planetarium, despite controversy following his opinion.
What is Neil deGrasse Tyson's salary?
While answering the question of 'where does Neil deGrasse Tyson work?', we get a better understanding of why his net worth is so substantial. The various National Geographic and other TV shows he stars in partly assist in him obtaining his net worth and his book sales. His salary is $500,000 with a total net worth of $5 million.
Are Mike Tyson and deGrasse related?
Even though they share the same name, there is no relation between the boxer and astrophysicist.
Neil deGrasse Tyson's net worth is a talking point when the star is brought up, but he is so much more than his money in the bank. His charisma, passion for his profession, and enthusiasm to teach all about the Universe's wonders make him the well-loved figure he is today.
Another impactful American professor Briefly.co.za covered is Dr. Fauci, an immunologist and physician who has been with the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID) as an acting director since 1984.
Source: Briefly News